It was a very early start - left the house at 2am to drive 3 and a half hours towards Cancun and then beyond. We caught a local ferry boat at 7am to an Island called Holbox. It's a tiny place and we walked from one side to the other in about 10 mins.

From there we caught a little boat to the middle of no where way out off the coast. On the way we had an added bonus and came across some dolphins ...

When we arrived in the area we quickly found the Whale Sharks - they are only in the area for July and August - we were lucky to catch them early! These photos don't give the size true justice, this one was about 25ft long! Look at that fin .........


Of course these aren't the sharp teeth kind of sharks - but plankton eating ones that let us snorkle alongside - I also got to hold onto the top fin and get a pull along. Poor Kevin though - got caught with the tail and ended up with a nasty scratch along the chest.
There were 8 of us on the boat and we took in turns , in pairs, to snorkle alongside - that's if we could catch up with them - they move really quickly!! On the fourth snorkle I went in with another girl because Kevin had had enough. After a short while swimming alongside I decided to swim to the other side of the Whale Shark and there I spotted a baby ... swimming under the right fin ..... oh no wrong shape it's a dolphin, excellent double bonus ....... hmmmm funny looking dolphin ..... oh s**t it's a real shark, one with teeth ..... At that point I stopped swimming and looked up for the boat, only to find the other girl and the guide getting out of the water already as they worked out alot quicker than I had what the 'baby' thing was!!
But no harm done and I doubt it was the 'Joanna eating' kind of shark anyway .....
Then we headed back along the shore and a picture to prove that I am all in one piece!

No comments:
Post a Comment